Thursday, March 22, 2012

Workout Wednesday: Mental Madness

I have found that the toughest part of changing my diet and exercise hasn't been adjusting to new food or learning new exercises--the toughest part has been overcoming the mental madness that fights these new processes. It took me weeks to see this but I am thrilled to report that I think I've beat it!



For nearly all of the last 10 weeks I'd go into a training session telling myself that I would do everything perfectly no matter what, that I could handle the "pain," but within minutes my heart rate would be flying and my muscles would be fighting. As I'd struggle to hold a plank, my mind would run a million miles each second with thoughts of how difficult it was and just pray to make it through. My eyes would clench shut and my face would tense up while one sentence permeated my thoughts: "I can't do this."

So during the past few weeks I tried to figure out how to get past this mental block. New thoughts started creeping into my brain encouraging me to embrace the challenges rather than fight my way through them. Many Biggest Loser contestants go through this too with their minds creating walls they think they can't overcome until the light goes off about what is holding them back mentally. Once they find this, they take off, and that's what I wanted.


At about this time there was the tiniest thing that Trainer did that just flipped the final switch. I was boxing, hard (I LOVE the sound the gloves make when they hit the pads--I'm a sucker for it, seriously), and this really wore out my muscles to the point that I could barely lift my arms. Rather than slow down and push through it, I stopped. I hung my head and started whining again. Trainer didn't waste one second. He immediately reached out and tapped my shoulder and demanded that I keep going. When he did that, he effectively cut off my defeatist thoughts and let me know that this time he was not letting me give up.

That just happened a couple of weeks ago and I've really stepped up my game since then. I used to tell myself to "just get through this." How terrible is that? Today I went in with the attitude that I would meet each challenge head on and give it my all, and I did! I got through every exercise and never asked for a longer break (that's a first!). I just realized that I also kept my eyes open during all the exercises and focused on my breathing whereas before I would clench up, close my eyes, and pray for daylight!



I am so much stronger mentally and I know that exercise and training sessions are always going to be hard, that's the point, but it's up to me to rise to the challenge. All I have to say now is: Bring. It. On! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment