Friday, April 13, 2012

Foodie Friday: The Sugar Struggle Part I

Can you imagine that there was a time not too long ago when sugar was a rare treat, as in a couple of times a year, particularly for people with limited incomes? Today not only do we have easy access to sugary treats, it's being put into just about every processed food item. Even so-called "healthier options" such as bottled orange juice and low-fat treats are surprisingly packed with processed sugar (and worse: high fructose corn syrup).

I'm a fan of the Facebook page "I GOT TIRED OF BEING FAT AND GOT IN SHAPE!" which is based on one woman's determination to get and stay healthy (check it out!); nearly every day she posts an inspirational or informative image, and this is a recent one:


I count myself incredibly lucky that I've never been a soda drinker. I have friends who admit that when they try to stop drinking soda they suffer from serious headaches because their bodies have become dependent on the sugar. I have a friend who eats very healthy but has gained weight over the past few years most likely because of her Pepsi habit. The thing is, she knows it but struggles mentally and physically with letting it go.

I also have friends who admit that they have to eat something sweet every day. I remember doing that, even two or more times a day. I craved it, my body wanted it. Any time I've changed my diet for the better, it took close to a week for those cravings to subside, but the good news is that they do, we just have to be determined enough to get to that point.



There are so many diets to choose from--you can go low-cal, low-fat, low-carb, etc., but the one thing that every single diet agrees on is this: sugar is bad and should be completely eliminated. Of course this doesn't include the sugars in fruit, but many dietitians will say that even fruit should be limited for this reason. You see the thing is, there isn't one nutritional benefit in sugar. Your body will survive if it never has sugar again. That can't even be said for things that must be eaten in moderation, like healthy fats.

One of my professors brings a basket of fun-sized chocolate treats to every class and the majority of the semester I pass the basket along to the next student without taking any. Three weeks ago, after adhering strictly to my diet, I decided to enjoy two pieces of candy. It was so bizarre, after I ate them my throat actually burned from the sugar, and up until the next morning there was a remaining stale taste in my mouth that I never get with fruits and vegetables. So the body may resist the initial change to cut out sugar, but it really doesn't want it and it will let you know.



Some friends have told me that sugar is the one thing they struggle with and have asked for advice on how to overcome it. I tell them that it's certainly not easy, but worth it. The pros in the health and fitness industry would most likely say to quit cold turkey (which is what I did and I turned into an evil beast for a couple of days), but I see nothing wrong with simply cutting back a little more each day to make the transition easier.

The point is to improve ourselves, not to be perfect, and to do the best we can. If eating four pieces of candy is the best you can do today (because yesterday you ate six), then kudos to you for taking steps in the right direction.



No comments:

Post a Comment