Monday, January 9, 2012

January 9, 2012

Over the past 3 weeks I have been making efforts to work out at fitness centers with the intention of making exercise a new habit. I am thrilled to report that it is now a habit! Physically I feel great and have tons of energy, and I no longer enjoy spending hours sitting on the couch watching T.V. and playing games on my laptop (both of which I'd do at the same time).

Why the successful change? Well, there are a few reasons actually:
  1. I always thought I didn't have time--this was partially true. My schedule changes every day and every week, and I'm one that needs structured times for exercise, such as in the morning before my first class. Seven years ago I attended day classes while my daughter was in school, but as she grew up she no longer needed me to drive her to school, and when I started grad school all my classes were in the evening. I've sort of been a wreck since then LOL Additionally, most nights I spend at least 2 hours sitting on the couch (oftentimes much more, like, up to seven hours), and as I started noticing this I realized that I could workout and STILL have time to relax and watch a movie.
  2. I had to Just Do It--every week and most days I would think to myself, "Tomorrow/next week I'm going to get up early and (fill in the blank)." Unfortunately I would sit on the couch at night and see that I had yet again failed to do what I had hoped I'd do. I told my fiance that I wanted to go to the gym and we did. I didn't push myself at all, my only priority was to simply go. The first time I used the treadmill I was only on for 13 minutes, but it was 13 more minutes than I had done the day before.
  3. Go even if I'm tired--I worked out 5 days last week (YAY!!) but two of the days I was really tired, so I just walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes. Again it was about getting there, not about being an exercise goddess!
  4. Life is about to change and I'm running out of time--I graduate, start a new career and get married in May, just 4 months from now. I want to enter this new phase of my life in a much healthier body. I want to have energy and I don't want to worry about whether or not I'll fit into seats at a meeting or be able to fit into a plane seat. I'm using May 9, my wedding date, as a marker, not for a specific goal but just as a light off in the distance that will be here very soon, and when it arrives I want to be my best self I can be.
Last night before going home, my fiance asked me what I wanted to do tonight and I told him that even though we had just worked out 2 days in a row, the idea of sitting at home was just boring. I really can't wait to go back!

The next step is to be just as serious about eating better. Just like with working out, I need to act more and think less about my choices. If I make a healthy soup I know that I'll eat it and love it, but if I think of all the familiar food choices that I'll be missing out on, I'll never change. Just like with exercise, I'll push myself even if I don't want to, and in the process I'll develop new eating habits and cravings. It'll be wonderful!!!

Right now I can picture the possibilities for the immediate future. I could easily lose 50 pounds by May 9 if I continue on this new path. While I'm not chasing numbers (doing so, setting specific weight goals, has never worked for me in the past), picturing how I'd feel with 50 fewer pounds to lug around gives me extra motivation to keep making excellent choices.

LL xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment