Monday, July 4, 2011

One + One = Me!

The prior two posts are about how I've been working on myself to be happy, content, satisfied with myself and my life. I've let my family go, a tough choice, but one that led me to where I am now--giving myself permission to be human, to be simple, to be me. These two things have led me to so much more, all of which is taking place at my job.

I started a new campus job in January and little did I know just how much more beneficial it would be than just a paycheck. I don't even know where to begin, so I'll list it out:

  • My boss:
    • He compliments me all the time. He knows I don't take compliments well, so last week he explained why he does (because I'm a wonderful, intelligent employee, one of the best he's ever had).
    • He explained last week that I will be successful in anything I choose to do, because I am a hard worker, caring, and attentive to details. He said if I go on to get a PhD. that I will do very well. No one has ever, ever said these things to me. I've had a hard time with the compliments, but I'm listening now.
    • I'm learning so much academically, professionally and personally. I get one-on-one that other students don't get. I get opportunities to pick his brain. Last week I asked how he balances work and home and he admitted that it's still a struggle.
    • He involves me in meetings and projects that expand my experiences, knowledge and networking.
  • My main job:
    • It involves doing something that most students have to pay to learn (through a classroom setting), and I'm getting far more experience and time than I would in a classroom setting. 
    • I can take these new skills and start my own company.
    • My job introduces me to many new people through which I'm learning interviewing skills, listening skills and how to talk to older adults. This will benefit every area of my life, for the rest of my life.
    • The people I meet also touch me personally. I learn more about myself with every interview. Again, something that most students will never get to experience.
I am so happy to go every day. I love being there. I'm getting more from this job than most other jobs I've had. This is a catalyst to the rest of my life, and I'm taking full advantage of it. I am counting my blessings daily, hourly, for my very good fortune.

LL xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment