Sunday, May 8, 2011

And a Happy Mother's Day to a Gettin'-Healthier Me!

2??.??

The shorts I bought about a month ago are falling off of me, and yesterday I wore one of the pairs of jeans I put away last month because they were uncomfortably tight. They are still tight but not as much. Yay, it's working!!

I haven't weighed myself yet today, mostly because I'm waiting for this excess water to escape from my body. Plus I'm starting the induction phase of the South Beach Diet today. My boss/director suggested that I might like it better than Atkins because it allows more healthy carbs. I've spent the past couple of weeks looking into it, and I do like it better. During the induction phase, not only am I allowed more than 15 grams of veggies (not corn, peas or carrots though) per day, I am SUPPOSED to have 2 cups of veggies every night with dinner. I love that! Also, the protein I eat is supposed to be lean and low-fat, something else that Atkins is not as concerned with. In addition, I can have low-fat condiments (yay mayo!) as long as they aren't overloaded with sugar and other carbs.



There are two challenges for me though: money and time (when ISN'T that ever a challenge?). I was reading through the great recipes last night to get some variety and it seems that I could easily spend $100 a week just on my own food (and don't forget, I have a teen to feed). I'm also supposed to eat 3 complete meals, 2 snacks and 1 sweet treat each day. How am I going to do all of this? I'll have to spend hours planning and preparing all this food. When I was silly enough to pay for cable television (ah, thank heavens for Netflix Instant Watch and Hulu), I would watch the BBC America program "You are What You Eat," a terrific show where a holistic foodie spends time with families in their homes guiding through the changes to help them lose weight and feel better. Every family said that they were spending enormous amounts of time planning, shopping and cooking their meals. Looks like that's gonna be me.

So I have to spend some time today creatively planning my meals, based on cost, time involved to prepare the meals, and for flavor and variety.



I'm also going to continue with regular exercising. It will certainly help me lose weight, but it also makes me feel better the next day (I work out after dinner). Even Mr. A likes it. Until last week, he hadn't even set foot on a treadmill! That was fun to watch LOL. After just the first time we went to the gym, he said he slept better and felt better the next day. I've never enjoyed working out with someone so much :-D It's great because it'll help keep me motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment