Thursday, May 26, 2011

Refocusing

Milestone Goal: Vacation, June 23, 245 (currently 257)

I've decided that instead of showing my current weight and weight loss, I'm going to list my next milestone goal, which will help me stay on track.

I seem to have lost my focus and have been finding exceptions for not following the plan. It's sort of weird how I am--I don't want to have a strict schedule, but if I don't have some sort of schedule there almost always are negative consequences. I am the type of person who likes to be busy but needs downtime so that I don't get overwhelmed. Right now I am lacking direction and have spent the past 1-2 weeks sort of flying by the seat of my pants, as they say. The result is that I feel very disorganized and that many things are suffering because of it.

I think part of the problem is that I'm still afraid of becoming overwhelmed. I have a history of either taking on too much or simply having too much to handle, both of which lead me to falling aprt and I hate that feeling. I'm also concerned about being to rigid with my schedule, but I really shouldn't because everyone who knows me understands and is perfectly fine with it. They know I have a busy life, and right now they all know how important it is for me to lose weight. What I need to do is regroup. In the past two weeks I've only lost a pound. I was O.K. with it last week, but not now.

My chaotic schedule is getting in the way of me taking the time necessary to plan and prepare meals and snacks. I'm going too long in between eating which has led to making bad meal choices. I'm bored with the quick meals and snacks because there isn't any variety. I like to read in bed but I've been going to bed much too late and therefore I haven't checked out any new recipes to try. I don't even look forward to eating at home right now.

So the first thing I need to do is remind myself why I'm doing this. I made a list of milestone goals recently so I'm going to start focusing on each one as it comes in order to stay on track. My next goal is 4 weeks from today when me and A go on vacation. I am 14 lbs away from that goal so I already know I won't make it because the most I have ever lost is 3 lbs per week. However, if I modify it to reflect the fact that I was 2 lbs from making my last milestone goal, the adjustment would put me right on target.

I also need to spend less time on the computer. I'm sure I have some sort of mild addiction because once I'm on I don't want to get off. Almost every morning I spend an hour or more doing nothing of value. That has to stop.

Additionally, I have so many things to do in the morning that lately I've just stopped doing them. When this happens, I don't go to work or I go late. I have work I can do from home but instead I avoid it (and all other responsibilities) when I waste time online.

I've written about what hasn't been working, so here is what I will do to make it all start working again:
  • Prepare for my day the night before to ease the burden of a busy morning. Start doing this at 9p so that I can . . .
  • . . . be in bed by 10p to get enough rest--the best start to any day
  • Plan my menu for the week and put a printout of it in the kitchen.
  • Exercise three times a week. In between trips to the fitness center, do a few exercises at home, such as crunches and squats.
I looked back and found my Goals for the Summer, and I need to be reminded of what they are:
  • Attend "Bye Bye Birdie," the last show of the summer, at the Muny.
  • Attend a show at the Fox Theater.
  • Take two out-of-town trips.
  • Do a bit of yard work.
  • Spend some time with friends.
Wish me luck!

LL xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment