Thursday, May 19, 2011

Last night I wrote about how I've indulged in "Food to Avoid" but I want to counter that with how well I actually have been eating. I honestly have never eaten so many vegetables in my life. I've been trying both new vegetables and new recipes for them. In the past week I've had squash three times: zucchini (a side dish that included onions), spaghetti squash (plain) and eggplant (moussaka). I've had chicken stir fry twice, and when I go to restaurants, I order extra veggies (usually broccoli) in place of starchy side dishes.

The majority of what I've been eating has be made from fresh ingredients and cooked at home and I'm really proud of that. At first the amount of work involved was exhausting, but either I'm getting used to it or I'm embracing it more because now I look forward to spending some time in the kitchen, even right after work.

I once read that the difference between healthy-eating dieters and healthy-eating non-dieters is that the non-dieters don't punish themselves when they eat something lacking in nutritional value, but instead see it for what it is (yummy treats) and continue with their healthy way of eating at their next meals. Dieters see this as signs of weakness and use it to attack themselves in the worst ways. I've done it. All dieters have done it. As overweight people we believe we are failures, so when we try to fix it but slip, we see it as further proof that we are unworthy, lazy, and even destined to be miserable. I'm taking this all to heart and while I did feel a bit bad last night (I mean common, I was attacking that bread like a lion on a gazelle during the dry season), I knew what was happening. I was freakin' hungry! Not fat-girl hungry, but human hungry. I had very little to eat that day and too many hours had passed since I had. anyone, thin or thick, would've felt the same way. Will the scale reflect this? Possibly. Am I going to be disappointed? Maybe, but only a bit. From this experience I've learned how important it is to be prepared with snacks and such so that I maintain a level of satisfaction throughout the day to prevent overindulging.

Yay me! I'm so proud of myself! Now, back to our regularly scheduled program (a.k.a. getting ready for work).

LL xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment